Goodbye Cramps, Hello Energetic Living!
My friend writes: "I'm sorry to say I have to use Advil once a month for my cramps or I'm in complete agony. I have a tilted uterus and have been told my cramps are child-labor contractions like." Can you relate?
I sure can! I also have a tilted uterus. I used to be out of commission for three days a month. In high school I wondered, "How do women hold a job when they clearly need to take of several days of work each month to handle this pain?"
I often thought my degree of pain was abnormal, but I'm beginning to think it isn't uncommon. Leg cramps, nausea, bloating, overall body tiredness that makes it hard to move, low energy, foggy thinking, sudden loss of ability to move or think or do anything but clutch one stomach in agony... Yeah, every month.
I tried various pain relievers and none of them worked. I tried walking it out, sleeping it off, even vigorous excerise. Surprisingly, that seems to he help a bit, but it is nothing like real relief.
Now, after years of experimentation, I've finally found a way to eliminate cramps and bloating, reduce my period length to only three days (instead of eight!) and even feel energetic on my period.
Eating all raw brought my period down from eight days to three by itself, yet the cramps were still often brutal, leaving me curled up in a ball, sometimes crying from pain. Often I'd fill up the bathroom with hot water and just stay there for hours, not daring to move lest I increase the pain.
Then, I began to observe a trend... There were months where the pain was less, and months where it was crippling. The times where it was really bad were times when I had a fancy raw dessert the night before, like a coconut cream pie. The times where it was hardly there at all were times when the previous night I had mostly greens.
I began to make it a routine to drink a green juice the morning I got my period. This would reduce pain by about 60%, which is nothing to sneeze at, but if your cramps are as bad as the ones I used to get, then you know that even 40% of the pain is still enough to keep you from living your life.
Times where I combined eating "light" the day before and drank vegetable juice the day of the pain would be down to about 30% of those "full strength" monster cramps.
So I finally got this fantastic idea... What if I did a nearly fat-free cleanse starting three days before I expect my period to start? Okay, so here is what to do:
Short period, no cramps, no bloating, energetic period protocol
- Calculate when your next period is. Mark your calender three days prior to when you expect your period to begin.
- Three days prior to your period begin eating recipes made up of nothing but fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, cold-pressed flax oil (or hemp or chia oil), sprouts, spices, vinegar and sea salt. Recipes below.
- Include at least half an inch of fresh ginger in your meals each of these three days and the first day of your period.
- Include at least one vegetable juice in the day prior to your period and one the first day of your period.
- On the first day of your period if you experience any pain or cramps, rub Young Living's PanAway essential oil blend on your belly and under your nose. Or just use helichrysum oil — which is one of the four ingredients in PanAway. The blend also contains wintergreen, clove and peppermint oil in the blend.
- If experiencing constipation at all, add three daily shots of aloe juice to this protocol. If you're not pooping at least once a day (preferably two or three times), then you're constipated.
- A further precaution which, combined with the above, is a near guarantee against any menstrual discomfort is a home enema the night before you expect your period to begin.
Why does it work? The severity of cramps has a lot to do with what is going on in your intestines and colon. If you're at all backed up, the cramps are much worse. Fat takes the longest to digest, so the more fat you eat, the more stuff is hanging out in your colon at a given time. This isn't to say fat is bad. We actually need healthy fats for every cell in our bodies, but cleansing and eating a very low fat diet for several days out of the month gives you digestive system a break. It is good for men as well as women, but for women, we have that motivation of a shorter, less painful (or pain-free!) period.
The fertile female body is always cleaning itself. During your period you are shedding away blood that is no longer suitable for feeding an embryo. Many women, while retaining their fertility, lose their period entirely when they become cleansed enough. It is no longer necessary to shed the blood because it is still perfectly good the next month.
Following this protocol, I actually experience a lift in my mood, a boost in my energy, and a spirit of enthusiasm that I don't have the rest of the month. Raw food has made me a generally happy and energetic person, but this little cleanse causes my motivation, endurance and spirits to sky-rocket. The mild inconvenience of vegetable juice and an enema is so worth it.
Apple Slices Delight
Put all ingredients as evenly over the apple slices as you can. Enjoy.
Mash bananas with a fork. Add carob and vanilla and fold into the bananas. Continue to mash for about a minute. Then eat and savor.
- 2 pears, ripe, cubed
- ½-inch ginger root, peeled, minced
- ¼ cup dried mulberries or 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1-2 dashes cinnamon
- 1 pinch cloves and/or cardamom and/or turmeric and/or allspice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 dash vanilla powder (optional)
If using honey, combine honey with minced ginger and spices first, then stir with pear cubes. If using mulberries, simply add all ingredients to the bowl and stir. While stirring, allow the pears to be somewhat mashed, lending their juices to the ginger, spices and mulberries.
- 3 orange's juice
- 1 lemon's juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or 2 tablespoons dried mulberries (optional)
- 1 pinch vanilla powder (optional)
- ½ cup chia seeds
Juice oranges and lemon with hand-juicer or citrus juicer. Stir in honey, mulberries and vanilla powder. Add chia seeds and stir. Let set in fridge for at least two hours. Enjoy!
- 10 ounces chopped romaine lettuce, or 1 head, chopped
- 5-10 ounces spring mix, baby kale or spinach
- 2 apples, diced or 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 scoops Akea powder or other probiotic powder
- 1 teaspoon adobo (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flax oil
- 1 lemon's juice or 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 5 sheets nori, torn into little pieces
- 1½ tablespoons dill seeds (optional)
Put greens and apples or tomatoes into a large salad bowl. Sprinkle all powders over the top. Add flax oil so that it combines with most of the powders. Add vinegar or lemon juice. Add dill seeds, nori and other desired toppings (such as chopped dried apricot).
Between simple meals such as the above, enjoy sliced watermelon, pineapple, kiwi, bell peppers, cucumbers, mango, celery sticks, carrots and as much vegetable juice as you can drink.
Wishing you a moon-time filled with joy and energy! Interested in learning more ways to streamline your life and experience more pleasure and less pain? Sign up for my donation-based e-course below.